Sunday, March 8, 2015

Attack of the Clones

I actually began my first electrophoresis! I was helped by wonderful Paul throughout the process. I learned how to put my 1 X TAE buffer together then my 1 X TAE buffer with 0.9 agarose. I had no idea agarose was the key ingredient to forming the gel in the gel rig. I thought it seemed pretty awesome. I had only one DNA sample for which I placed 2 microliters in the gel wells. When I was done running my gel I put it under the UV light. I also learned that the dye within my gel was light sensitive and could break down quickly resulting in not allowing me to view any DNA. It was a good thing I had a cardboard box. Unfortunately, we did not see any DNA, but this is only the beginning. I am sure I will be able to see some DNA in my next run of electrophoresis.
 

Here is my 1 X TAE buffer without the agarose of course.

Here is my gel undergoing electrophoresis under the cardboard box.
My gel with no result of DNA.

No comments:

Post a Comment