Thursday, March 24, 2016

Harvesting from Multiple Tusken Raiders & Amplification


 Before spring break, I was able to collect spines from a population of teddy-bear cholla (cylindropuntia bigelovii) at the dreamy draw hike. Below are some pictures of the population of cholla cacti, and both of my mentors got in my way.














I ran a PCR on my five samples with chloroplast primers and the results were not what I expected. Since I did not know what kind of primers were in the master mix, I did not know which primer to avoid when running a PCR with the
DNA samples. The next step was to run a RAPD PCR with primers we have in the lab to see if the amplification would be better than the amplification from the Chloroplast primers. Below is a gel of the DNA samples amplified with the chloroplast primers.


 Here is also a video of one of our top highlights at the Dreamy Draw hike:



No comments:

Post a Comment