Wednesday, September 16, 2015

The Old Republic

This week I began making new gels with 2% Agarose in order to see if the polymorphic bandings from the ants would seem clearer than the bands in a gel of 1% Agarose. It did not seem to work and I am wondering if I should just run another PCR on my ant DNA. I ran three gels with 6 microliters of DNA and 2 microliters of the orange loading dye. It occurred to me, after I reviewed my previous gels over the summer, there was barely enough DNA shown in the first gel from my amplified DNA samples. Here are the first three gels I had ran a couple of weeks ago from the first PCR in a 1% Agarose Gel:

Colony A

 
 Colony B
 
 Colony C
 
In the Colony A gel it shows barely any DNA, and when I ran a gel yesterday with the same DNA, but in a 2% Agarose gel, nothing showed up. I felt as though it was a waste of three 2% Agarose gels.

My poor agarose gels.

1 comment: